We’re hiring a lead mechanic to support GObike’s community workshop and mobile repair initiatives in WNY.
GObike believes diversity, equity, and inclusion will make our organization and our region stronger. Our mobile repair initiatives are part of our ongoing commitment to increase engagement with and relevance to people and communities that are currently underrepresented in the cycling community and within our organization.
We promote active mobility options, trails and greenways, and complete streets in Western New York. We connect and empower communities through advocacy, education, planning, and engagement.
About the GObike Community Workshop
The GObike community workshop is the organization’s hub for people-centered programming and services, a space where volunteers and members learn bicycle maintenance and repair. The community workshop promotes the bicycle as a vehicle for personal freedom and empowerment by working with partners to make bicycle ownership, repair, and education accessible and affordable to everyone.
Lead Mechanic, Community Workshop
The lead mechanic is a full-time position whose primary responsibility is to cultivate a safe and welcoming environment and atmosphere of learning for all community members at GObike’s community workshop. The lead mechanic ensures that the workshop maintains a stock of refurbished bicycles, performs bicycle repair and maintenance services, and assists with the development, organizing, and execution of workshop programming and mobile repair.
This position reports to the Workshop Director and is based out of the GObike community workshop at 98 Colvin Ave.
- Assess donated bikes to see if they are worth repairing
- Repair and refurbish bicycles to be sold in the shop, as well as to be donated through our programs or partner organizations
- Select bicycles to be repaired based on shop needs and community demand
- Track time and parts used per project
- Perform quality control checks on bikes built by volunteers and ensure the safety of all bicycles being sold in the shop
- Assist the Workshop Director with pricing new and used inventory
- Post bicycles and/or components to GObike Square shop or eBay
- Communicate needs for volunteer support to the Workshop Director
- Assist the Workshop Director with a variety of tasks, including maintaining an inventory of new and used parts, placing orders with part and supply distributors as needed, maintaining shop tools, and restocking as necessary
- Works directly with the Workshop Director to evaluate shop needs and projects
- Works directly with the Education Director to train education staff on bicycle mechanics to support adult and youth programming
- Signs-up and on-boards new GObike members in coordination with workshop and office staff
- Assist customers and members in the shop with purchases and bicycle repairs during sales and Open Shop hours
- Answer visitors’ questions about GObike programs and operations
The lead mechanic should have:
- Mechanical Skills
- Strong working knowledge of bicycle repair and tools (we see the full range of bicycles from vintage bikes to the present)
- Creative problem solving of mechanical challenges
- Demonstrated experience working in a repair shop environment preferred
- People skills
- Demonstrated ability to work across racial, ethnic, gender, class, and ability differences
- Experience and/or comfort teaching, leading groups, and/or working with volunteers
- Customer service and sales skills
- Patience offering repair help to a variety of customers
- Bike skills
- Basic knowledge of traffic and bicycle rules and regulations (training available)
- Personal commitment to active transportation (biking, walking, and transit)
- Tech Skills
- Comfort using Microsoft office and web-based file systems (i.e., Google Suite)
This position is for 40 hours a week starting as soon as possible. Applicants should expect to work a variable monthly schedule, depending on the timing of programs, workshops, and presentations. The lead mechanic will typically work during set workshop hours, but may be scheduled for open shop nights and weekends, as needed. The pay range is $15.00 to $16.50 hourly, plus health benefits and paid time off.
If you would like to be considered for a position, please submit a resume and a short statement as to why you are excited about this opportunity to Stacy@gobikebuffalo.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
- Remote interview process
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Temperature screenings (community workshop only)
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place