We’re hiring an education manager to support youth and adult bicycle education in WNY.
GObike believes diversity, equity, and inclusion will make our organization and our region stronger. Our education programs are part of our ongoing commitment to increase engagement with and relevance to people and communities that are currently underrepresented in the cycling community and within our organization.
We promote active mobility options, trails and greenways, and complete streets in Western New York. We connect and empower communities through advocacy, education, planning, and engagement.
The Education Manager is a full-time position whose responsibility is to facilitate and manage all GObike bicycle education programs in the community including, but not limited to school and community-based programs, safety campaigns, mechanic courses, and educational video development.
This position reports to the Workshop Director and is based out of the GObike community workshop at 98 Colvin Ave.
- Developing, maintaining, and strengthening community partnerships
- Arranging host locations for both virtual and in-person education classes, programs, and workshops
- Managing and coordinating staff instruction and materials preparation and set up for community-based youth and adult education presentations, bike rodeos, and group rides
- Preparing in-person presentations and webinars for partnering businesses and organizations
- Maintaining a tool and supply inventory, including lights, locks, and helmets, for all education programs, restocking as needed
- Developing, maintaining, and updating GObike bicycle education curricula, keeping up-to-date with current traffic laws and regulations
- Training, scheduling, and managing seasonal and part-time instructors
- Ensuring completion of proposals, MOUs, waivers, and photo releases for all education programs
- Tracking and reporting on education programs, with particular attention to the achievement of deliverables for all grant-supported, sponsored, and contracted education programs
- Coordinating with the Communications Director for the development of any flyers, pamphlets, or other needed education materials
Community Workshop Support
- Assisting with sales, GObike member sign-up, on-boarding, and renewals at the community workshop using the GObike’s community workshop point-of-sale (POS) system
- Hosting regular classes at the community workshop and scheduling community-based mobile repair programs in direct coordination with the Workshop Director
- Responding to inquiries to the workshop by email, phone, or in-person
- Assisting workshop staff and community members with bicycle repairs
- Assisting workshop staff with management of bicycle stock and parts for both workshop and education programs, including by stripping and scrapping unusable bikes
- Strong working knowledge of traffic rules and regulations
- Experience and/or comfort teaching, leading groups and/or working with volunteers
- Experience and/or comfort using video-conferencing tools
- Customer service and sales skills
- Basic bike mechanics skills are a plus (training available)
- Ability to manage their time across multiple projects
- Demonstrated ability to work across racial, ethnic, gender, class and ability differences
- Personal commitment to active transportation (biking, walking, and transit)
- Comfort using Microsoft office and web-based file systems (i.e., Google Suite)
League Cycling Instructor (LCI) certification through the League of American Bicyclists will be required. If an applicant is not already certified, they must be willing to complete certification requirements within their first six months of employment with GObike support.
This position is for 40 hours a week starting May 24, 2021. Applicants should expect to work a variable monthly schedule, depending on the timing of programs, workshops, and presentations. The education manager will typically work weekdays but may be scheduled for open shop nights and weekends, as needed. The pay range is $15.00 to $20.00 hourly, plus health benefits and paid time off.
If you would like to be considered for a position, please submit a resume and a short statement as to why you are excited about this opportunity to Ashley@gobikebuffalo.org by Monday, May 10, at 5 pm.
- Remote interview process
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Temperature screenings (community workshop only)
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place