We’re hiring a community outreach assistant to support advocacy initiatives in WNY.
In an effort to make our roads safer for everyone, GObike is looking for additional support for community outreach and pop-up projects in Buffalo. The community outreach assistant will work with GObike staff and community volunteers to assist in the implementation of complete streets pop-up projects. These are on-street, short term infrastructure projects, from repainting and reconfiguring crosswalks and refreshing bike lanes, to more playful temporary projects to make streets a safe and fun place for connecting with neighbors. The community outreach assistant will be responsible for community outreach, volunteer coordination, and project implementation, from set-up to project build and clean-up.
This position reports to the operations and outreach director.
Key responsibilities include:
- Support the operations and outreach director with community outreach activities, including tabling and canvassing
- Managing and analyzing survey data
- Assist the operations and outreach director with volunteer coordination, scheduling, and maintenance of volunteer engagement lists and contact information
- Work independently and with the operations and outreach director to implement pop-up projects
- Lead groups of volunteers with the operations and outreach director to implement pop-up projects
- Coordinate between pop-up project programs and GObike’s Community Workshop to explore expanded reach for workshop programs, relevance to communities, and opportunities to serve unmet need
- Build fun and engaging activities for people
The GObike community outreach coordinator should have:
- Ability to stand for eight hours and work outside. Pop-up project implementation is a physical job that requires a level of fitness.
- Ability to lift weight of 50 lbs
- Experience and/or comfort teaching, leading groups and/or working with volunteers
- Basic knowledge of traffic and bicycle rules and regulations (training available)
- Comfort using Microsoft office and web-based file systems (i.e., Google Suite)
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Demonstrated ability to work across racial, ethnic, gender, class and ability differences
- Personal commitment to active transportation (biking, walking, and transit)
- Enthusiasm to come to work and make a difference in Buffalo.
- Ability to multi-task across multiple projects
Persons with established relationships within and familiarity with Buffalo neighborhoods where active mobility infrastructure is most needed, including east Buffalo, are strongly encouraged to apply.
This is an AmeriCorps position. The member will begin service no later than December 15, 2020 and serve a minimum of 1700 hours through the end of the AmeriCorps term in July 2021. The exact start and end date is confirmed by the Member Agreement of Participation. Members will perform day-to-day service at GObike Buffalo and serve a minimum of 35 hours per week.
If you would like to be considered for this position, please submit a resume along with two references and a short statement as to why you are excited about this opportunity to email@example.com no later than Sunday, November 29th at 12:00 p.m.
GObike believes diversity, equity and inclusion will make our organization and our region stronger. Our advocacy work is part of our ongoing commitment to increase our engagement with people and communities that are currently underrepresented in the cycling community and within our organization.
We promote active biking, walking and transit, trails and greenways, and complete streets in Western New York. We work directly with and connect communities through advocacy, education, planning, projects, and engagement. GObike’s complete streets work includes building temporary pop-up projects like crosswalks, bike lanes, and other street features using paint and construction materials.