We’re hiring a community organizing and engagement manager to support advocacy initiatives in WNY.
GObike believes diversity, equity and inclusion will make our organization and our region stronger. Our advocacy work is part of our ongoing commitment to increase our engagement with people and communities that are currently underrepresented in the cycling community and within our organization.
We promote active biking, walking and transit, trails and greenways, and complete streets in Western New York.
GObike maintains a strong focus on connecting and empowering communities. We recognize the importance of continuous engagement to ensure projects are implemented, supported, utilized and maintained with the communities in which they are located. We also recognize that residents in different communities face very different challenges and barriers, and that we must adapt our strategies in order to build trust, engage in meaningful dialogue and contribute to an equitable transportation system that supports all users and advances quality of life. We aim to work clearly and transparently with stakeholders to identify challenges in their communities and elevate local champions to advocate for change.
The Community Engagement Manager (CEM) will work with GObike staff to strengthen GObike’s relevance in communities experiencing disparate health and opportunity impacts as a result of inequitable mobility options. The CEM’s primary role will be to identify community-based priorities for safer transportation networks. To do this, the CEM will work with GObike staff and the community at large to recognize community values, build consensus, and elevate community leadership to collaboratively advance complete streets, trail and greenway projects in urban, suburban and rural areas.
This position reports to the Communications Director.
The CEM will work with the Communications Director to implement communications and outreach plans to:
- Perform direct community organizing activities, including, but not limited to canvassing, presenting to groups online and in-person, tabling, calling, and emailing, within neighborhoods of focus and proximity to projects
- Lead community organizing and outreach activities by managing and scheduling stakeholder meetings, hosting workshops, and promoting events
- Develop and grow relationships with grassroots leadership and community activists
- Collect, analyze and report community feedback and priorities to GObike leadership and stakeholder committees
- Maintain a database of community contacts, participation and survey response data
- Assist with social media and outreach communications tasks as well as social media community management
- Speak with local and state media outlets about certain events pertaining to GObike projects
- Coordinate outreach and engagement activities with GObike education and planning teams
The GObike Community Engagement Manager should have:
- Experience and/or comfort leading groups, facilitating conversations, and de-escalating conflict
- Demonstrated experience in project leadership
- Demonstrated ability to work across racial, ethnic, gender, orientation, class and ability differences
- Personal commitment to active transportation (biking, walking, and transit) and interest in promoting these activities to others
- Working knowledge of traffic rules and regulations (training available)
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Ability to work remotely and in-person
- Comfort using word processing, spreadsheets and web-based file systems (i.e. Google Suite)
- Comfort managing social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
- Comfort with WordPress website management
Persons with established relationships within and familiarity with Buffalo neighborhoods where active mobility infrastructure is most needed, including east Buffalo, are strongly encouraged to apply.
The anticipated position start date is August 8, 2022. Compensation is $19/hr, plus benefits.
If you would like to be considered for this position, please submit a resume and a cover letter sharing why you are excited about this opportunity to Kevin@gobikebuffalo.org no later than Monday, July 18th at 11:59 p.m.