We’re hiring a healthy streets assistant to implement Complete Streets pop-up projects in WNY.
GObike believes diversity, equity and inclusion will make our organization and our region stronger. Our advocacy work is part of our ongoing commitment to increase our engagement with people and communities that are currently underrepresented in the cycling community and within our organization.
We promote active biking, walking and transit, trails and greenways, and complete streets in Western New York. We work directly with and connect communities through advocacy, education, planning, projects, and engagement. GObike’s complete streets work includes building temporary pop-up healthy streets initiatives like crosswalks, bike lanes, and other street features using paint and construction materials.
In an effort to make our roads safer for everyone, GObike is looking for additional support for pop-up healthy streets initiatives in Buffalo. The healthy streets assistant will work with GObike staff and community volunteers to assist in the implementation of complete streets pop-up projects. These are on-street, short term infrastructure projects, from repainting and reconfiguring crosswalks and refreshing bike lanes, to more playful temporary projects to make streets a safe and fun place for connecting with neighbors. The healthy streets assistant will be responsible for volunteer coordination, and project implementation, from set-up to project build and clean-up.
This position reports to the operations coordinator.
Key responsibilities include:
- Work with the operations and outreach director to implement pop-up healthy streets initiatives, including setting up stencils, painting crosswalks, installing delineator posts and rubberform curbing
- Support the operations director with community outreach activities, including tabling and/or canvassing
- Assist the operations and outreach director with volunteer coordination and scheduling
- Lead groups of volunteers with the operations and outreach director to implement pop-up healthy streets initiatives
- Build fun and engaging activities for people
The GObike healthy streets assistant should have:
- Ability to stand for eight hours and work outside. Pop-up project implementation can by physically-demanding
- Ability to lift weight of 50 lbs
- Experience and/or comfort teaching, leading groups and/or working with volunteers
- Basic knowledge of traffic and bicycle rules and regulations (training available)
- Comfort using Microsoft office and web-based file systems (i.e., Google Suite)
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Demonstrated ability to work across racial, ethnic, gender, class and ability differences
- Personal commitment to active transportation (biking, walking, and transit)
- Enthusiasm to come to work and make a difference in Buffalo.
- Ability to multi-task across multiple projects
Compensation is $15/hour. This is a part-time position of 16-24 hours per week. Typical hours will be worked between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., weather dependent. If you would like to be considered for this position, please submit a resume and a short statement as to why you are excited about this opportunity to Luke@gobikebuffalo.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.