Our Erie County and Niagara County education teams would like to work with you!
We’ve got two paid internships listed below, please note the compensation, the date range you must be available for, and how to apply.
We’re hiring two Bicycle and Traffic Safety Ambassador (BTSA) Interns to support community education initiatives in Erie County and Niagara Counties. [Click Either County to see the job description. They are identical except for where they serve]
We promote active mobility options, trails and greenways, and complete streets in Western New York. We connect and empower communities through advocacy, education, planning, and engagement.
We envision a happy, healthy, and connected city where every person is able to safely and easily get where they need and want to go—no matter how they choose to get there. We work toward a future where our community members are healthy and happy because our built environment encourages rather than deters physical activity.
In an effort to make our roads safer for all, GObike is looking for help working with Buffalo and Niagara Falls communities to increase awareness of safe road use for all users. Methods for public education and awareness will primarily consist of workshops on safe cycling, bicycle-friendly driving, mobile bicycle repair, group bike rides and on-bike demonstrations of safe riding techniques.
This internship position reports to the Education Manager. Up to 4 hours per week may be spent remotely.
Key responsibilities include:
- ● Support the Education Manager in community outreach, scheduling safety presentations and workshops with community organizations, and delivering safety campaign materials to businesses, community centers, and organizations.
- ● Present traffic safety education in a fun and engaging way to bicyclists and motorists
- ● Assist in bicycle handling skill development (e.g. bike rodeos, SMART cycling classes,parking lot drills)
- ● Safely lead groups of participants on bicycle rides on trails and streets
- ● Assess quality of presentations and gaps in audience reached
- ● Assist in safety campaign development
The GObike education ambassador should have:
- ● Experience and/or comfort teaching, leading groups and/or public speaking
- ● Basic knowledge of traffic and bicycle rules and regulations (training available)
- ● Basic knowledge of bicycle mechanics and maintenance (training available)
- ● Comfort using Google Suite
- ● Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- ● Demonstrated ability to work across racial, ethnic, gender, class and ability differences
- ● Personal commitment to active transportation (biking, walking, and transit)
- ● Familiarity with the conditions in which we live, work, and play and how they can affectindividuals’ and a communities’ wellbeing (i.e. the social determinants of health)
- ● Ability to manage their time across multiple projectsThe internship position is 20 hours per week, until the term ends on September 30th, 2023. Applicants should expect to work a variable schedule, depending on the timing of activities, workshops and presentations, including nights and weekends. Schedule will be known two weeks in advance. This is a paid internship at a rate of $19/hr.
If you would like to be considered for a position, please submit a resume, one reference, and a statement of interest to David Myers at firstname.lastname@example.org.