We’re hiring a summer AmeriCorps member to serve as community outreach coordinator to support complete street pop-up initiatives in WNY.
GObike believes diversity, equity, and inclusion will make our organization and our region stronger. Our pop-up work is part of our ongoing commitment to increase our engagement with people and communities that are currently underrepresented in the cycling community and within our organization.
We promote active biking, walking and transit, trails and greenways, and complete streets in Western New York. We work directly with and connect communities through advocacy, education, planning, projects, and engagement. GObike’s complete streets work includes building temporary pop-up projects like crosswalks, bike lanes, and other street features using paint and construction materials.
In an effort to make our roads safer for everyone, GObike is looking for additional support for community outreach and pop-up projects in Buffalo. The community outreach coordinator will work with GObike staff and community volunteers to assist in the implementation of complete streets pop-up projects. These are on-street, short term infrastructure projects, from repainting and reconfiguring crosswalks and refreshing bike lanes, to more playful temporary projects to make streets a safe and fun place for connecting with neighbors. The community outreach coordinator will be responsible for community outreach, volunteer coordination, and project implementation, from set-up to project build and clean-up.
This position reports to the operations and outreach director.
Key responsibilities include:
- Support the operations and outreach director with community outreach activities, including tabling and canvassing
- Assist the operations and outreach director with volunteer coordination, scheduling, and maintenance of volunteer engagement lists and contact information
- Work independently and with the operations and outreach director to implement pop-up projects
- Lead groups of volunteers with the operations and outreach director to implement pop-up projects
- Keep activities fun!
The GObike community outreach coordinator should have:
- Ability to stand for eight hours and work outside in hot temperatures all day. Pop-up project implementation is a physical job that requires a level of fitness in order to lift pails of paint and paint on asphalt during the hottest periods of the day.
- Experience and/or comfort leading groups and working with volunteers
- Demonstrated ability to work across racial, ethnic, gender, orientation, class and ability differences
- Personal commitment to active transportation (biking, walking, and transit) and interest in promoting these activities to others
- Working knowledge of traffic rules and regulations (training available)
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Ability to multi-task across multiple projects
- Ability to lift weight of 50 lbs
- Comfort using word processing, spreadsheets and web-based file systems (i.e., Google Suite)
Persons with established relationships within and familiarity with Buffalo neighborhoods where active mobility infrastructure is most needed, including east Buffalo, are strongly encouraged to apply.
The member will begin service no later than August 1, 2020, and serve a minimum of 300 hours through the end of the AmeriCorps term. The exact start and end date is confirmed by the Member Agreement of Participation. Members will perform day-to-day service at GObike Buffalo and serve a minimum of 35 hours per week.
The position pays a total stipend of $3,000. Upon successful completion of the term of service, the member will be eligible for a $1,289.95 education award to pay off existing, eligible student loans or return to school.
If you would like to be considered for this position, please submit a resume along with two references and a short statement as to why you are excited about this opportunity to Ashley@gobikebuffalo.org no later than Sunday, July 19, at 12:00 p.m.