We’re hiring a Bicycle mechanic to support the GObike’s retail, service, community workshop, and mobile repair initiatives in WNY
GObike believes diversity, equity, and inclusion will make our organization and our region stronger. All of our repair initiatives are part of our ongoing commitment to increase engagement with and relevance to people and communities that are currently underrepresented in the cycling community and within our organization.
We promote active mobility options, trails and greenways, and complete streets in Western New York. We connect and empower communities through advocacy, education, planning, and engagement.
About the GObike Retail Location
GObike’s retail location is at our headquarters on 313 Broadway. The space provides bike sales and service to the community and works in tandem with the GObike community shop in furthering our mission of promoting active mobility.
About the GObike Community Workshops
The GObike community workshop is the organization’s hub for people-centered programming and services, a space where volunteers and members learn bicycle maintenance and repair. The community workshops at 313 Broadway and 98 Colvin Ave promote the bicycle as a vehicle for personal freedom and empowerment by working with partners to make bicycle ownership, repair and education accessible and affordable to everyone.
The Shop mechanic is a part-time position whose primary responsibilities are ensuring that the workshops maintain a stock of refurbished bicycles, perform bicycle repair and maintenance services, and assist with the execution of workshop programming and mobile repair.
This position reports to the Workshop Director and is based out of both the GObike community workshop at 98 Colvin Ave and GObike headquarters at 313 Broadway.
- Assess donated bikes to see if they are worth repairing
- Repair and refurbish bicycles to be sold in the shops, as well as to be donated through our programs or partner organizations
- Select bicycles to be repaired based on shop needs and community demand
- Track time and parts used per project
- Perform quality control checks on bikes built by volunteers and ensure the safety of all bicycles being sold in the shop
- Communicate the needs for volunteer support to the Workshop Director
- Works directly with the workshop team to evaluate shop needs and projects
- Sign up and on-boards new GObike members in coordination with workshop and office staff
- Assist customers and members in the shop with purchases and bicycle repairs during sales and Open Shop hours
- Answer visitors’ questions about GObike programs and operations
The shop mechanic should have:
- Mechanical Skills
- Strong working knowledge of bicycle repair and tools (we see the full range of bicycles from vintage bikes to the present)
- Creative problem-solving of mechanical challenges
- Demonstrated experience working in a repair shop environment preferred
- People skills
- Demonstrated ability to work across racial, ethnic, gender, class and ability differences
- Experience and/or comfort teaching, leading groups and/or working with volunteers
- Customer service and sales skills
- Patience offering repair help to a variety of customers
- Bike skills
- Basic knowledge of traffic and bicycle rules and regulations (training available)
- Personal commitment to active transportation (biking, walking, and transit)
This position is for 20 hours a week starting as soon as possible. Applicants should expect to work a variable monthly schedule, depending on the timing of programs, workshops and presentations. The lead mechanic will typically work during set workshop hours, but may be scheduled for open shop nights and weekends, as needed. Pay range is $17-18 hourly.
If you would like to be considered for a position, please submit a resume and a cover letter as to why you are excited about this opportunity to Adam@gobikebuffalo.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling-basis until the position is filled.